Coconut-Banana-Oat Breakfast Muffins
I am always looking for a quick and healthy breakfast to eat on the run. I am one of those people who will use every last minute of sleep before I absolutely have to get up in the mornings. I hit that snooze button like its my freaking job. Once I’m awake, I max out my morning with getting ready for work and leave myself the tiniest bit of time for breakfast. Why do I make life so difficult for myself, you ask? Well you are asking the wrong person. I am constantly struggling with an internal battle “Sleep or Eat?” “Eat or Sleep?”. It’s a true and consistent strife my friends, and I am working on it, ok? So, in an effort to make my life a little easier, I made these oatmeal muffins. They are super easy and teeming with healthy ingredients that I know will keep me full for hours before lunch. Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and chalk-full of fiber! Yes! Now I can rest-assured that breakfast is done and ready for me for the next few days. Maybe I can set my alarm five minutes later now? I kid… Sort of.
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats, plus a few teaspoons for topping
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, plus a few teaspoons extra for topping
- 4 super ripe bananas smashed, plus 12 thin slices for topping
- 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped, plus 12 thin slices for topping
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 coconut oil, melted at room temperature
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- Preheat the oven 375 and grease a muffin tin with baking spray. Make sure to spray the each tin all the way up the sides, since the batter will fill them entirely.
- Add the oats to the bowl of your food processor and pulse a few times until you get oat flour. It shouldn’t be super fine, just a bit broken down. Add the oats to large mixing bowl and then add the shredded coconut, spices, salt, baking powder, and sliced almonds and mix well to combine.
- In another medium bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork. Add the milk, maple syrup, vanilla and coconut oil. Add the almond butter to the same measuring cup as the coconut oil and then pour into wet mixture (adding the oil first keeps the almond butter from sticking to the measuring cup!). Mix all ingredients well with a whisk. Add the chopped strawberries to the wet ingredients just before adding all the wet to the dry ingredients. Mix until completely combined. Spoon the batter into the greased muffin tins and fill to the brim. Top with a sprinkle of whole rolled oats, sliced almonds, and then a thin slice of banana and strawberry to each muffin. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top and firm. Let the muffins cool and then run a knife around the edges to remove gently. Serve warm or cold and always add a drizzle of honey! Store in an airtight container or individually wrapped (for on-the-go breakfasts) in the fridge. Enjoy!