Winter Grapefruit Salad w/ Pomegranate Vinaigrette
Happy 2014!! I honestly can not believe another year came and went. I have to say that 2013 was an incredible year for me in all aspects. Kris and I grew so much closer while still learning new things about each other and new facets in our marriage. I am so blessed to have a husband like him that continues to teach me vital life lessons like patience, diligence, and perseverance. He is always pushing me towards greater things and for that, I am forever grateful. Honeyed Home really wouldn’t have made it this past year if it weren’t for people like Kris and so many close friends and family members that continue to send endless support and love. I am so happy to say that this little dream of mine has made it 1 year!! A year of recipes and heart felt posts that were driven by blood, sweat, and tears (literally all three of those things). This recipe here today marks number 70. It is amazing to think that after 70 recipes down, I know that I have barely begun to hit the tip of this venture. I cannot say where this project of mine is headed but for now I am utterly thankful to everyone who has stopped by to take a peek at what I love to do.
In honor of the new year and new beginnings, I decided that this salad would be the perfect kick starter to ring it in! It is one of my most favorite salads I have ever made and I had to share it with you. It’s ridiculously flavorful and has what I consider to be the ideal mix of textures. I recently bought Pomegranate Vinegar from Trader Joe’s and knew that I had to use it as soon as possible. The vinaigrette is bright and tangy with fresh herbs and the minced shallot gives it a bit of spiciness. I hope that you enjoy this salad as much as I do and that you are blessed in the New Year with all the good things that God has to give!
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 TBSP fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp clover honey
- 2 TBSP Pomegranate Vinegar
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 (5oz) bags of winter mixed greens (I like a mix of baby kale, baby spinach, & baby chard)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 grapefruit, segmented, and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/4 pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup pistachio nut meats (I buy them roasted and salted)
- In a medium bowl combine add the minced herbs and shallot. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk with a fork to combine and emulsify. Set aside.
- Dived the mixed greens among the 4 bowls. Add 1/4 of the avocado slices to each bowl. Top with a few grapefruit pieces. Divide the pistachios and pomegranate seeds evenly into each salad. Drizzle each salad with pomegranate vinaigrette and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- The recipe calls for a lot of mixed greens as this salad is meant to be a main course. Feel free to use less greens per person if serving as an app or a side.